Car insurance is one of those expensive necessities one needs in order to drive a vehicle. Getting cheap car insurance is very simple to do yet most do not even explore the possibilities. Here are some tips in getting cheap car insurance:
- Keep your driving record clean. This cannot be stressed enough. A driver with a lot of violations is a risky driver and will pay more for insurance. In this day and age of computer networks, driving record checks are almost instantaneous when purchasing a policy so keep your record clean.
- Go for higher deductibles. Remember that the purpose of insurance is to prevent extensive losses to you. Remember also that insurance premiums are basically money lost. So if you pay high premiums and never have an accident that is basically money that flew away. It is all a matter of how much risk you are willing to balance with the premiums.
- Don’t over-insure liabilities. Insurance is to protect assets. Once a car gets to the point that it is in need of a trade, you might want to drop the collision and comprehensive coverage. The question to ask oneself is: If something happened to this car, can I easily replace it.
- Buy from larger companies where the risk can be shared and rates can be more competitive.
- Use the internet and get online quotes from several companies and compare. Most all of the larger companies have free online quote systems now.
- Listen closely to folks you know as to what insurance they have. Word of mouth can be a wealth of information in this case.
- If you have an accident without major injuries, make absolutely sure that you get all information from the other driver. You need to get their insurance information, name, phone number, license plate number, and driver’s license number. At a minimum, get their insurance information and license plate number. The idea here is make the other party who may be at fault to use their insurance to pay for the accident. This keeps the expense off of your insurance company and helps to keep rates down for you in the long run.